The Ski Evacuation Sheet is widely recognised, within the healthcare sector, as a vital aid to the mattress evacuation of very sick or disabled individuals from hospital wards and care homes, in an emergency.
Manufactured by Hospital Aids since the early 1980’s, the Ski Sheets have been used in some very high profile fires, the best example of which was the Royal Marsden Hospital Fire, in London, January 2008, when a complete evacuation of the hospital was required. This included evacuation of the ICU and operating theatres, where one patient was undergoing extensive surgery.
Staff at the hospital evacuated more than 40 patients from the fourth floor, on their mattresses, using Hospital Aids Ski Sheets, which were available on each bed.
The Ski Sheet is permanently and unobtrusively attached to the underside of the individual’s mattress and is quickly and easily accessible when needed.
No need to transfer the patient out of their bed.
In an emergency situation, simply remove the cross straps from their storage pockets, and secure over the patient. Gently slide the patient (securely attached to their mattress) off the bed using the end pulling handles and tow them to a point of safety – even down flights of stairs.
The Ski Sheet is made from a strong nylon material, which allows the sheet to move well over interior surfaces and helps to make manoeuvring more controllable and less strenuous for the carers.
The Ski Sheet has been safety tested to a maximum weight of 250kg (39 stones), although the maximum load to be pulled downstairs should be recommended by your manual handling advisors.
It is advisable that a minimum of two people handle the Ski Sheet. As a general rule, the maximum weight being pulled should not be more than that of the combined weight of the handlers - two 9 stone people will not be able to pull a 39 stone patient.
Each patient will have his or her own handling plan and this should be considered before moving any patient using this equipment.
Beware of cheap imitations: The genuine Ski Sheet is fitted with seat-belt style IMMI buckles in line with NHS requirements and they are also CE approved.
To prevent cross contamination the Ski Sheets should be laundered when the occupier of the bed changes.
When laundering becomes necessary it is recommended that the buckles should be fastened and the sheet placed in a laundry bag to protect the buckles and prevent any damage to the washing machine drum. Temperatures of up to 80°C can be used and thorough rinsing will ensure that no detergent is left.
Disinfectant may be added to the final rinse if required. Do not use bleach.
The Ski Sheet can be dried in a tumble drier on a low heat, to prevent the nylon from becoming brittle and shrinking, alternatively it can be drip dried.
Providing that the above instructions have been followed, ironing should not be necessary.
Visual checks of the stitching, webbing, buckles and elastics should be made after each wash. If any damage does occur, the sheet will need to be replaced.
- Packed size
- 27cm x 10cm x13cm (approx. when rolled)
- 196cm X 85cm
- Safety tested to
- Under 1kg
- Recommended safe working load
- 120kg for two handlers
- Nylon sheet
- Polypropylene webbing
- Metal 'Seat belt style' Buckles with plastic casing
- Tricoflex Elastic
- Modifications can be made to the ski skeet depending on specific requirements. These include the addition of positioning handles placed at the corner pockets, to enable extra manoeuvrability and an extra cross strap for patient security.
- CE marked
- Can you use a Ski Sheet in any building?
- Whether or not it is possible to use the Ski Sheet in your specific building depends on the width of the fire doors, corridors and stairwells along with the width of the mattress itself.
- If space is limited, mattress evacuation may not be possible and an alternative form of evacuation aid, such as the Ski Pad – also manufactured by Hospital Aids, should be used.
- Does the Ski Sheet come in a Bariatric version?
- Although the Ski Sheet has been safety tested to 250kg (39 stone) - which is a lot higher than other mattress evacuation aids currently on the market- there is not a bariatric version available. The size of a bariatric mattress itself would make it difficult to manoeuvre. For bariatric patients, an evacuation aid such as the Bariatric EvacMat - also manufactured by Hospital Aids- should be considered.
- What happens if the Ski Sheet is used in an emergency?
- Once the Ski Sheet has been used in an evacuation, it is recommended that it should be replaced.
- Are Ski Sheets ok to use with very elderly or fragile patients?
- The Ski Sheet is ideal for use with elderly or fragile patients as there is no patient/resident transfer involved. The patient remains within the bedclothes and is protected by their mattress at all times.
- Does a Ski Sheet need Maintenance?
- See cleaning and care instructions. Visual Checks should be made after each wash. Should any damage occur to stitching, webbing, buckles or elastics the sheet should be replaced.
- Are Demonstrations available?
- Free product demonstrations are available throughout the UK, Ireland and in other countries subject to availability of consultants.
- Is there any training available?
- Training packages are available throughout the UK, Ireland and in other countries by prior arrangement.
- Training can be conducted as a group session for all staff or as train the trainer sessions for key members of staff, which can then be cascaded down to other staff members by the trained personnel.
6/30 Leighton Place, Hornsby, NSW, Australia
Tel: +61 1300976259
Block 203 Henderson Road #01-05, Henderson Industrial Park, Singapore
Tel: +65 67760910
Zur Lauterhecke 34,, Sailauf, Germany
Tel: +49 (0)6093 9440
Jl. Ciputat Raya No.4B, Pondok Pinang, Jakarta Selatan, Indonesia
Tel: +62 21 27651 911
Unit 21, Redleaf House, Townspark, Co.longford, Ireland
Tel: +353 (0)433 349611
1-12 Ohgamachi, Aoi-Ku, Shizuoka-Shi, Shizuoka, Japan
Tel: +81 (0)54 252 1141
Tel: +7 9295252400
30 Olaya Street, Sulaimania, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Tel: +966 12064477
Calle Bocairente 4, pta 28, Paterna, Spain
Tel: +34 96 338 0780
Mustafa Kemal Mah. 3007.Cadde, Hisarkent Sitesi, 50AC/8, Ataşehir, İstanbul, Turkey
Tel: +90 505 663 62 07
P.O BOX. 283882, Pinnacles Building, Sheikh Zayed Road, office no. 613, Dubai, UAE
Tel: +971 4 399 4919
Fax: +971 4 399 4917
PO Box 33, Bethpage, New York, USA
Tel: +1 516 359 8521
Hospital Aids 1 Kingsthorpe Business Centre 63 Studland Road Kingsthorpe Northampton NN2 6NE United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1604 586501 Fax: +44 (0)1604 586576 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hospital Aids are committed to protecting your privacy and personal data. We’ll only ask for, and keep data that is adequate and relevant. By using this contact form you are consenting to us using the data required within it to enable us to fulfil your request.
Any information you provide us is stored on servers and filing systems in the UK, controlled and managed by hospital aids and securely protected against external digital threats and cyber-crime by our IT Support Specialists Bluemoon Solutions.
We will only use your data for the following reasons:
- To respond to your enquiries/queries
- To send you quotations or relevant product information following the above
- To process orders and training requirement
- To follow up on any of the above
- For billing and accounting purposes
- To contact you occasionally by email, to tell you about products and services provided by us, however you may choose to opt out of these at any time by return email
We do not disclose any personal data to third parties for their own marketing purposes. However, your data may be shared with trusted third parties for the following reasons:
- Some personal data will be shared with training providers, distributors and delivery companies as part of our order fulfilment and shipping process.
- For accounting and VAT purposes
- In cases where we are required by law to pass on information or if we believe action is necessary for fraud, cyber-crime or to protect the website, rights and personal safety of person/s.
Further information for persons outside of the UK
Hospital Aids work with trusted distributors in various territories around the world. As such we may share your information with these parties as part of your enquiry/order fulfilment.